Tel: 01600 860 344
Fax: 01600 860 144
Browse our Online Shop
Key Info

Only required over 20m³/day
Usually done by the drilling company

Abstraction license

FWT are able to assist with the process of applying for a licence, if required, however this would usually be within the remit of the project consultant or drilling companies. By licensing, The Government can control the level of abstraction to protect water supplies and the environment.


As of April 2005, abstractions of less than 20m³/day do not require licensing by The Environment Agency, however you should be aware that the Agency do have the authority to set a lower limit in certain areas of the country, and that drillers are obliged to inform the British Geological Survey of the construction of any boreholes greater than 15m in depth.

FWT recommend that you make the relevant submissions or request that your drillers do. For your assistance, please see the relevant forms in our PDF library to submit your intention to drill and borehole information forms.

These should be forwarded to The Records Section, Hydrogeology Group. British Geological Survey, Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford. Oxon. OX10 8BB

Application process

More information regarding the process can be found on The UK Government Website




Related images in this section
Click for a larger image and description